By: Bernard Ong
You don’t have to be religious to appreciate morality and ethics. The “7 Deadly Sins” are not found as such in the Bible, although there are biblical antecedents.
Here are the Sins and the common Pinoy examples that merit “Huwag Tularan” cardboard signs.
The negative version of Pride is described as putting one’s own desires and whims before the welfare of [other] people, believing oneself to be superior or more important than others, refusing to admit one’s faults or limitations as a human being.
- You bash media as “Dilawan” and biased. But then you read them for “intel” reports about the Abu Sayyaf’s plan to raid Bohol. You downplay the report and do nothing. That’s hypocritical Pride.
- You attack US because of personal grudges from a long time ago (e.g. claim of being molested by an American priest, you were once denied a US visa). You degrade relations with the only ally strong enough to help you keep your country’s territories and rights in South China Sea. That’s foolish Pride.
- You said there were 3 million drug addicts. Then you increased this to 4 million without factual basis. The official estimate by Dangerous Drugs Board is only 1.8 million users, yet you refuse to correct your mistake. 2.2 million innocent Filipinos will be potential victims of Tokhang or EJK as a result. That’s lethal Pride.
From the Latin word “Avarita” or avarice. Greed is the excessive desire to acquire or possess more than one’s needs. It can lead to robbery, theft, treason, cheating, plunder.
- Your family raids the nation’s coffers for 20 years. You open bank accounts in Switzerland. You block PCGG attempts to recover the stolen loot & [have it] return[ed] to [its rightful owners], the Filipino people. You want to be president to steal more money, just like your daddy. [And you never show remorse or express regret over your family’s many abuses and transgressions.] That’s unrepentant Greed.
- You misuse taxpayer funds on corruption-ridden pork barrel projects. You connive with fixers, corrupt agency officials & crony contractors on fake projects and kickbacks. That’s trapo Greed.
- You allegedly have P2.4B in bank deposits, way more than your mayor’s salary could afford. You invoke Bank Secrecy to hide the transactions. That’s Panelo-shielded Greed.
Lust is [an] intense, uncontrolled desire. It usually refers to sexual behavior – leading to rape, adultery, fornication, promiscuity. But it can also apply to uncontrolled desire in general – e.g. lust for power, lust for money.
- You have multiple wives or girlfriends. You claim this [to be] the norm for lawyers or politicians. That’s crass Lust.
- You joke that the mayor should have been first in the gang-rape of a dead Australian missionary. That’s morbid Lust.
- You use the State to silence dissenters. You jail them on false charges. You fund fake news outlets to destroy opponents. That’s power-hungry Lust.
Envy is like Greed and Lust. It stems from desire. It is described as the covetous resentment towards others’ status, abilities, possessions and achievements. You want what others have that you don’t.
- You lack education credentials. You make it up with fake degrees. You run and lost for vice president. You file an election protest without basis. That’s crooked Envy.
- Your dad was a world-class thief. He was booted out of the country. Your family had to fly out to escape lynching. His political opponents – Ninoy and Cory [Aquino] – were both given heroes’ burials by the public, while you have to pay your way to having Daddy buried like a hero. Fittingly, you bury him stealthily like a thief. That’s insatiable Envy.
- You don’t like the professional news outlets because they report information, quotes and photos that put your idol in bad light. So you come out with your own news outlet spewing fake news. That’s twisted Envy.
Gluttony is not just about eating too much. It is over-indulgence & over-consumption leading to waste. It is associated with selfishness and lack of concern for others.
- You are elected president with your office in Malacanang. You insist on flying home to Davao every week. You are wasting taxpayer funds, causing security nightmares and adding to carbon emissions with your unnecessary flights. That’s imprudent Gluttony.
- You were elected congressman to represent your people. You run under one political party. After you won, you switched parties to ensure your share of perks and pork [barrel]. You go to fancy affairs with your fancy trophy mistress on your fancy 8-plated car. You get kickbacks from pork projects while your constituents suffer from misrepresentation [and misery]. That’s piggish Gluttony.
Wrath is uncontrolled anger, rage and hatred. It leads to violence, harm, vengeance, and killing.
- You haaaate drugs. Perhaps because your son became an addict. You decide to kill 30,000, 300,000 or even 3 million – just like Hitler. You inspire your followers to kill, kill, kill. That’s blind Wrath.
- You cannot control yourself in public appearances. You are prone to spew out “Patayin”, “Put@ng-Ina”, “Ugok” and “Idiot” every other sentence. You inspire those who call you Tatay to hate. That’s uncontrolled Wrath.
Sloth is laziness. It is the unwillingness to exert effort – physically, mentally or spiritually. Sloth is also described as failure to do things that you must do. This is captured in Edmund Burke’s “only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
- You have a multi-billion peso budget for intel, yet you still rely on faulty made-up drug lists and drug matrices prone to frame-ups. Nobody knows where the intel funds go (although it is suspected to reward EJKs). Foreign embassies warn about Abu attack on Bohol but you don’t lift your butt. That’s unintelligent Sloth.
- You outsource your thinking to fake news sites, impostors, demagogues. You pass on fake memes & fake stories. You don’t read beyond the headline. You don’t fact-check. That’s stupid Sloth.
- You know things are wrong, yet you keep quiet and do nothing. That’s pathetic Sloth.